April 9, 2019
Trump is supposedly “excited” to write his memoirs
by Michael Barron
As reported in various media outlets, including the Daily Beast which broke the news, Donald Trump is “excited” to write his memoirs.
Here are the known knowns:
- That he’s “excited” (this can’t be stressed enough)
- That he believes it will sell better than The Art of the Deal (a point we can agree upon)
- That he’ll use the memoir to “dish dirt” (of course he would)
Here are the known unknowns:
- That he’ll write the book himself (he says he will, but given his record of broken promises…)
- That Donald Trump Jr. tried to sell a book proposal that glorified his father (will any publisher bite?)
- That publishers are afraid he’d ruin “roll out” plans by blathering away the juiciest bits (but would we even care after 2020?)
Here’s the unknown unknown:
- Is Trump also planning a Presidential Library? Would his memoir get its own wing?
Many questions, some answers. But as the Daily Beast noted: “two book agents who’ve dealt with popular political books said that the president could expect to see a book advance—from some amenable publishing house—at least in the low seven figures. The sources predicted that the final amount would fall short of the reportedly $65 million book deal that former President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama landed.”
Michael Barron is an editor at Melville House.